SCS6079 Digital Practices
MA Digital Media & Society
IA & content planning
Content out: planning for effective IA
- site creation starts with thorough planning of all aspects, priority on content, followed by structure
- IA informs UI design. note: IA ≠ UI
[ IA: information architecture | UI: user interface ]
- IA defines content structure, labeling and indexing
- UI is derived from the site navigation (informed by IA)
- content and users to guide all aspects of production
- information architecture essential for usability/accessibility
- recurring cycle of work: plan - review - test - iterate
- plan an approach for content review
- don't rely on your own preferences/interests/taste!
- find connections in context
- define a logical structure for content, then plan site/UI
- focus on structure first, edit naming/phrasing to fit
- continue to review - test - iterate
Site maps & wireframes
links: style guides
points to consider
- target group, their browsing habits and likes/dislikes
- quantity and structure of content
- site plan in hand with clear sections / sub-sections
- media types: images / video / audio / supplementary downloads
questions to answer
- what kind of design will present an effective website and appeal to your target group?
- which content elements (if any) require bespoke presentation, e.g. photo with caption?
- what kind of typesetting will work best?
- which colour scheme is fitting context and audience?
Let's create a mind map to narrow down our theme requirements and then check out some examples and their options.
content curated / created © Prisca Schmarsow | eyedea studio london | 2017