image & video: courtesy of Oregon Live
The famous and successful Nike swish is a wonderful example of how effective simplicity can be.
Read more about this story:
Creator of Nike’s famed Swoosh remembers its conception 40 years later
NOTE: please excuse the old-fashioned embed here via Flash – couldn’t find this video in a better format.
branding & design
Before you finalise your icon interface – let’s talk about the role of design in successful branding. Hopefully this will help you to work on developing your own brand :)
Carrying on work on your current project ~ create a suitable brand for your page. Consider the icons’ visual style as well as the wording of your content.
Please do ask me for help if you are stuck with anything ~ happy to help :)
guidelines: brand / style
- I ♥ NY [PDF]
- NHS brand guidelines
- BBC: Global Experience Language
- Styleguide, Paul Robert Lloyd
- Style Tiles
useful links & reading
- Ogilvy & Mather
- Brand New
part of UnderConsideration
- brand channel
- Common Identity Tools
- 20 top tips for designing effective brand guidelines
Saatchi & Saatchi
- Branding, Identity & Logo Design Explained
- Front-end Style Guides
Anna Debenham on 24ways.org
Old Spice – viral video
This is a personal favourite of mine – had to include it here as an example of an effective viral campaign.
icon interface – branding
mini project – part #2
Just to remind you that this is of course not the correct order here – your branding should come first, before any other design is even considered. Hopefully you remembered that you will need to brand your icons. Maybe you have already come half way with creating consistent icons for your interface ~ so that you can now finalise your design to fit your new brand.
Deadline for this project is next week with your branded icon interface complete, extended to show suitable pages. Hope you’ll have fun creating your own mini brand and finding a suitable visual style for the icons as well as the page design.
✔ to do list
- review your icons and content to find a suitable brand approach
- sketch out your ideas for text and visuals in your sketchbook
- edit your icons to fit your newly found brand
- finalise the design of your webpage/s
✽ working files
Just in case, the link to the templates files again :)
download source files – contains:
- “prep” folder: icon size templates and background image
- “site” folder: basic webpage showing with of 3 large links (HTML/CSS)
Please feel free to comment below if you have any questions :)