image & video: courtesy of Oregon Live
The famous and successful Nike swish is a wonderful example of how effective simplicity can be.
Read more about this story:
Creator of Nike's famed Swoosh remembers its conception 40 years later
NOTE: please excuse the old-fashioned embed here via Flash - couldn't find this video in a better format.
branding & design
Before you finalise your icon interface - let's talk about the role of design in successful branding. Hopefully this will help you to work on developing your own brand :)↓ download slides as PDF ❧
guidelines: brand / style
- I ♥ NY [PDF]
- NHS brand guidelines
- BBC: Global Experience Language
- Styleguide, Paul Robert Lloyd
- Style Tiles
- Mozilla Style Guide
useful links & reading
- Ogilvy & Mather
- Brand New
part of UnderConsideration
- brand channel
- Common Identity Tools
- 20 top tips for designing effective brand guidelines
Saatchi & Saatchi
- Branding, Identity & Logo Design Explained
- Front-end Style Guides
Anna Debenham on 24ways.org
- Designing Style Guidelines For Brands And Websites
Kat Neville for Smashing Magazine
Old Spice - viral video
This is a personal favourite of mine - had to include it here as an example of an effective viral campaign.
Create your own styleguide :)
Let's have a look at a few examples and discuss aspects of a successful styleguide for a web project.
I would recommend to start your own, from scratch. Each project is likely to require its own approach and having your own custom vanilla version will be more efficient and productive.
- poor man's style guide by Bryan Braun
- Style Guide Boiler Template
by Brett Jankord
- Stylify Me
by Annabelle Yoon and Michael Mrowetz
most successful brands in design
Thinking ahead to your thesis and your need to create your own brand - let's share some findings. Do some research into success brands, find their online style guides (if available) and discuss one select brand in detail on a blog post.
Post the link here to share.
Your chosen brand should be within the wider field of design, or alternatively within the field of your thesis project. You can make this part of your research for that, if you like.
- research brands and their guidelines; select a single one for discussion.
- write a blog post about the success of your chosen brand.
- include links to relevant online material (website/s, brand/style guidelines as available, case study of brand design if available).
- post the link to your blog post in comments for sharing.