the Shawshank Redemption
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
released » 1994
runtime » 142 min
director » Frank Darabont
Andy is a successful banker who is imprisoned for the murder of his wife and her lover. In Shawshank, he meets Red - the 'fixer', also serving a life sentence for murder - and a strong friendship develops between them. Andy never gives up hope and during his years there decides that he will leave prison on his own terms.
Read the full synopsis (including spoilers) at
16 Award wins
7 Academy Award nominations
2 Golden Globe nominations
IMDB to see the full list of awards.
Did you know…
- The film was a flop on its release, barely recouping its £25 million budget but it went on to become a
best-seller on VHS, DVD and Blu Ray.
- The film is based on the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, written by Stephen King.
- Stephen King sold the film rights for $5,000 but never cashed the cheque. Years after the movie was released, King framed the cheque and
sent it to Darabont (the film director) with a note inscribed, "Incase you ever need bail money. Love, Stephen."
- In the novella, Red was a red-haired Irish man.
- The film has consistently held the number one spot on
IMDB's top 250 films of all time, with a rating of 9.2/10.