Colour is a topic which never ceases to inspire great discussion about interpretation, meaning and effect within design. As subjective as colour can be – it is our job as designers to be mindful of implications as well as considerate in our selection for use in interface and web design.
Don Norman discusses design psychology.
3 extremely different moods
Mary & Max
An animated clay feature film, telling the story of a pen-friendship between two very different people.
Fotoshop by Adobé
A personal project by Jesse Rosten, filmmaker and commercial director.
Read project details
Song and video by Marilyn Manson
colour scheme design
How do you create your colour schemes? Where do you start?
Do you find this an easy aspect to design? Or do you struggle to get started?
Let’s talk about colours schemes ~ and possible methods to starting with their design.
check my colours
– the excellent colour checker, for contrast and accessibility
– create colour palette from any image.
– create colour palette using classic colour schemes, or free form. Export to various formats, including code.
– former Adobe Kuler. Create, save and view/use colour schemes.
– a 3D colour picker, also showing collected colour schemes. [flash]
– view images by colour.
… & just for fun:
Using the “Hattie’s Tearoom” logo [↓] – experiment with the 3 different approaches to colour scheme design and prepare a basic style tile.
tiny task – part #3
With feedback on your content and typesetting in hand, work on iterations and include your ideas for a fitting colour scheme.
CHECK LIST #3
- work either in a graphics app, or CSS, to experiment with colour schemes
- produce a digital mockup of your design
- post a link to your colour scheme ideas in the comments below, or post to the #design channel on Slack
- give feedback to each other ;)
Do share your initial ideas and get/give some feedback :)
Comments are closed.